With Memorial Day coming up, here’s an easy crowd pleaser. If, like me, you looooooooooooooooooooove banana pudding but get turned off by the idea of baking the meringue, this recipe is for you. I got it from my sister-in-law, Josie. I believe she adapted it from Paula Deen’s “Not Yo’ Mama’s Banana Pudding,” and you know that when it comes to desserts, Chef Paula is never a bad jumping off point!
Josie’s Banana Pudding (complete with her cute instructions):
This is basically the recipe, I just like to use Walkers shortbread cookies (or Lorna Doone) instead of vanilla wafers. I also top the banana pudding with additional whipped cream.
- 1 (14 ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 1/2 cups cold water*
- 1 (4-serving size) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups whipping cream, whipped(+more for topping)
- 36 vanilla wafers (or shortbread)**
- 3 medium bananas, sliced and dipped in lemon juice
1. In large bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk and water. Add pudding mix; beat until well blended. Chill 5 minutes.
2. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon 1 cup pudding mixture into 2 1/2-quart glass serving bowl.
3. Top with one-third each of the vanilla wafers, bananas and remaining pudding. Repeat layering twice, ending with pudding mixture. Chill thoroughly. Garnish as desired (with whipped cream) . Store leftovers covered in refrigerator.
Photo by Lucie Amberg.